Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Take a Deep Breath - BLOW - PFT Test


Friday was the big Pulmonary Function Test @ Allenmore Hospital - Tacoma
I think all went well - results are pending visit to Pulmonologist in 2 weeks, fingers crossed. 
I had a great Tech (Chris) to help me through this one. The picture above is exactly the type of machine I used - First test used a round cylinder tube, closed lips around and a nose clip placed. The machine did not like my first attempt - You really have to put effort into your breathing which I thought I had done. You have to inhale as fast as you can and exhale the same way and continue to exhale until you feel like you  are going to pass out - seeing stars for sure..  They change the tube to a mouth piece like you have on a snorkle, a tighter nose clip placed, the same breathing test is done as above. The next test they have you breathe normally but warn you they will be starting resistance on the machine - what this means, the air is not flowing freely through the tube, you can get the air by breathing forcefully to get it -  it seems like forever that you have to do this, but it is only 3 minutes. The next test you are given 4 puffs from a Albuterol inhaler, sit for 5 minutes so that it can start working,  then repeat above tests.  The total test time approx 45 minutes.

After the PFT - I had a yummy lunch and a day of shopping with Nicole. It was a great day. I love that daughter of mine.  

When I started this diet of mine, I thought I was really going to have a hard time finding things to eat - I was pleasantly surprised this weekend when both my son in law Brian and Derrick & Haley brought me bags of goodies from the gluten free bakeries in Kent and West Seattle - YUMMMM! Rick has been enjoying them too..  I have the best kids ever! I don't think I am going to be losing any weight on this diet...

I learned this weekend, I have to limit activities, all day shopping - yes shopping is exhausting, and weeding the back yard causes me to Crash and Burn! A day of rest is needed...

What I am thankful for today -  gluten free bakeries and my kids who love their Mama.. Love you guys.

One of my RP friends told me that there will be days where the pain can ease and will just become background noise . Today I am thankful for only the background noise...

I continue on my vegetarian diet with occasional fish - almost 2 weeks!

Thanks for Reading. 

God Bless us all. 

Nancy

1-10 =2 

No comments:

Post a Comment